|I.T Manager/ Systems Admin||Oil and Gas / Environmental||Calgary||$70,000 - $90,000|
Overview:1. Manages the day-to-day operations of the Network host Server, Switches, and Firewalls by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair. Ensures that records of system downtime and equipment inventory are properly maintained. Applies revisions to host system firmware and software. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
2. Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
3. Supervises Operations staff including hiring, training, evaluating and disciplining. May guide or provide work direction to technical staff, contract staff. Determines appropriate coverage for all hours of operation.
4. Performs troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel.
5. Establishes, maintains and manages users Active Directory accounts. Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems. Provides server support related to other software.
6. Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, fiber channel switches, tape libraries and other components.
7. Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources.
8. Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
9. Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications.
10. Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
11. Develops tools, procedures, and training sessions for Operations.
12. Manages the data center and computer host systems including hardware, software and equipment such as air-conditioning system, UPS (uninterrupted power system) and fire protection system.
13. Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways take advantage of new technology.
Requirements:Degree in Computer Science or strong post-secondary education technician diploma. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year to year basis. Work experience in complex systems design, and systems software and support.
Knowledge of: Programming languages and operating systems; current equipment and technologies in use; Firewall Administration, HP Enterprise Grade Servers, Switches, Cabling, Network Protocols, along with Virtual Hyper-V Hosting, Clustered SAN system administration, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, and system performance monitoring tools; effective project management techniques; principles and practices of effective management and supervision.
Ability to: Plan, organize and document complex system design activities and to configure systems to be consistent with institutional policies/procedures; communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperation, understanding, trust and credibility; perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.